Black-owned hair products. Who are some of the Black founders creating natural hair products?
Not long ago, there were not many natural hair products in the market for black hair. For the ones in the market, even when the products claimed to be formulated for black hair, they came with many chemical ingredients that did more harm than good for our curls. In this article, we will be sharing the story of two Black women who helped to change the natural hair market as we know it. They formulated their products through research and testing to see what works well for their hair. They want black women like you and me to have healthy hair that can be worn proudly.
Black-owned Hair Products Founder, KEYA JAMES @Tailored Beauty
Keya started tailored Beauty right in the comfort of her own home. She decided to ‘return’ natural after learning about the damaging effects of relaxers on her scalp, hair, and long-term health. All the commercial products on the market were made with artificial ingredients, which caused her to question the benefits which she shared with her friends and family. In the summer of 2013, her daughter ‘Summer’ was born. She understood the importance of using organic products. She shared her products and hair journey along with her daughter on youtube. Her followers and subscribers wanted her to start selling the products so that they could use them too. With this ever-growing demand, she birthed a new baby called ‘Tailored Beauty’ with the assistance of her husband.
Tailored beauty products have a wide range of products of which we sell their best sellers:
- Tailored Beauty Coconut Crème Conditioner – The coconut crème conditioner contains mango butter which softens and smoothes the hair to provide moisture and make detangling a breeze.
- Tailored Beauty Perfect Coils Curling Jelly – The jelly is perfect for defining Wash-N-Gos, Twist-outs, and braid-outs as it provides long-lasting hold without the crunch, shine, and locks in moisture.
- Tailored Beauty Grow Thick Oil – Tailored Beauty grows thick oil, promotes the growth of healthy hair, and improves its overall texture and volume
Black-owned Hair Products Founder, MONIQUE RODRIGUES @Mielle Organics
Mielle was founded in 2014 after Monique shared with her social media followers her tailbone-length hair. They wanted to know how she got it to that length and what they could do to grow their hair that long or even longer. Mielle started selling only one product which was an advanced hair formula containing a blend of herbs, amino acids, and minerals to support and grow healthy hair. r/ Now Mielle has become a household name being sold in multiple stores across the US such as Target, Walmart, and CVS. As well as they are a global brand as they have shipped to 87 different countries all over the world. Since its inception, Monique has shared that the purpose of the brand is to show women that they have healthy hair (and skin) by using healthy ingredients which are formulated in all of the products.
With the wide variety of collections offered by Mielle, we sell two of their holy grails loved by their customers:
- Mielle Organics Rosemary Mint Strengthening Edge Gel – The edge gel will tame hair edges and ends for sleek shine and a flawless hairstyle with no gummy or greasy residue regardless of your texture or style
- Mielle Organics Pomegranate & Honey Leave-In Conditioner – The lightweight leave-in conditioner allows you to show off your beautiful coils and curls with added shine, extra moisture, and a formula that prevents frizz
All of these products are created with the health of your hair in mind. The only way to achieve your hair goal of having longer, stronger, and/or thicker hair, you have to use products made with healthy ingredients.